In his opening speech at that seminar, the Chairperson of the National Independent Electoral Commission, Mr. Pierre Claver Ndayicariye said that the NIEC is already preparing for elections of 2015, he emphasized that as from now, the preparations of 2015 elections are already underway. Therefore, we must see together how to better organize the elections in 2015 and how to start on due time civic and voter education program.
During the training session, the trainers used the participative method; in which group discussions allowed participants to discover the essentials of the matter which was complemented and enriched by the trainers. In terms of the content, we note some of the following main points:
– criteria for free and fair elections;
– free and fair elections: international standards;
– guiding principles for election administration;
– the pillars of the sustainability of any institution;
– standards and principles recognized in the resolution of electoral disputes;
– code of conduct for election administrators;
– relations of electoral management bodies (EMB) with stakeholders;
– principles and norms of civic and voter education programs.
Note that this capacity building seminar for executives of the NIEC ended with an awarding of certificates to all participants. Also note that this seminar has been organized with the technical and financial support of the American NGO, International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES).